The National Museum of African American History and Culture will be hosting “Yoga for Black Lives Matter” on Sunday, June 28 from 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm (EDT) in support of racial justice.
The event series is organized by Evolving Lives Body & Mind, a yoga business based in the DMV area that focuses on self-care, health and wellness.
Rachel Baylor, founder of the place, will be leading the session.
The 60-minute class promises to teach participants traditional yoga postures and how to connect your breath to your physical movement.
“The violent acts of hatred are the result of long standing and systematic racism. There is no quick solution to the complex problems we face, however, we can collectively join in a peaceful yoga session to tune in to the present moment and listen to our inner voice, the one guiding us to, ‘be the change we wish to seek in the world,’ to activate against these challenges and affect change,’” the event brief says.
“This duty belongs to ALL OF US and we owe it to our country. By taking an hour of your day to dedicate to your self-care via yoga you are preserving yourself, an act of political warfare.”
Ticket prices range from $5 – $25, and all the proceeds will go to various organizations that are part of the Black Lives Matter movement.
The bi-weekly series will also take place on July 12, July 26, August 9, August 23, September 13 and September 27:
- June 28 – Proceeds will be donated to Campaign Zero
- July 12 – Proceeds will be donated to Color of Change
- July 26 – Proceeds will be donated to Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- August 9 – Proceeds will be donated to Movement for Black Lives
- August 23 – Proceeds will be donated to NAACP
- September 13 – Proceeds will be donated to National Black Justice Coalition
- September 27- Proceeds will be donated to National Urban League
You can still make a donation if you can’t attend the sessions.
Here are more details about the organizers: www.evolvinglivesbodyandmind.com