Anela Malik, a DC-based food blogger, teamed up with Shaw restaurant HalfSmoke and Raise Nation LLC, to organize sweepstakes in order to support Black-owned restaurants in the city during the coronavirus pandemic.
The initiative takes place from August 3-16. Diners who visit participating businesses can scan the DC Black-Owned Restaurant Sweepstakes QR code there with their smartphones and fill out a form to enter the contest.
“We hope this contest encourages the community to continue supporting Black-owned businesses during the COVID-19 crisis and beyond,” Malik wrote on her blog, Feed the Malik.
Participants must be at least 18 years old. And it is permitted for a diner to enter multiple times.
Winners, who will be selected at random, will be announced through Halfsmoke’s Instagram and Facebook pages on August 17, at 7 pm.
Grand Prize in the contest is $400+ value including Bradley Beal Jersey, $100 Cane gift card, Raise Nation Premium Membership and more.
First Prize is $300+ value including John Wall Jersey, $50 Ethiopic gift card, Raise Nation E-Membership. Second prize is $200+ value including a $25 Halfsmoke gift card, Raise Nation E-Membership, and third prize is $50 Fishscale gift card.
Participating restaurants are as follows:
1. FishScale: 637 Florida Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001
2. The Kitchen Jerk: 703 Edgewood St NE, Washington, DC 20017
3. DCity Smokehouse: 203 Florida Ave NW, Washington, DC 20001
4. Roaming Rooster: 3176 Bladensburg Rd NE, Washington, DC 20018
5. HalfSmoke: 651 Florida Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20001
6. Mr. Smith’s of Georgetown: 3205 K St NW, Washington, DC 20007
7. Pleasant Pops: 1781 Florida Ave NW, Washington, DC 20009
8. Ethiopic: 401 H St NE, Washington, DC 20002
9. Souk: 705 8th St SE, Washington, DC 20003