Police evacuated the headquarters for the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and closed off a number of roads in the area on Wednesday morning, following a bomb threat at the building.
Among the other evacuated buildings are the O’Neill House Office Building and the US Botanic Garden.
The bomb threat reportedly targeted the Hubert H. Humphrey Building, which is home to the HHS headquarters.
“This morning there was a bomb threat received at the Humphrey Building. Out of an abundance of caution, we evacuated the building and there is no reported incident,” HHS Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Sarah Lovenheim said.
Roads closed due to police presence in connection with the incident include:
- Independence Avenue between 2nd Street SE & 4th Street SW
- Washington Avenue SW between Independence Avenue and C Street SW
- 3rd Street SW between Pennsylvania Avenue NW and E Street SW
- C Street SW between 2nd Street and 4th Street SW
- 2nd Street SW between Washington Avenue and D Street SW
- D Street SW between 2nd Street and 4th Street SW
- 4th Street between Pennsylvania Avenue and Virginia Avenue SW