The Test Yourself DC program that provides COVID-19 At Home Testing Kits is being expanded with the installment of a self-testing site within a 20-minute walk of almost every resident of the city.
The announcement came on Thursday from DC Mayor Muriel Bowser and DC Health.
A total of 11 new sites will open for individuals to pick up and drop off free COVID-19 testing kits, which they can use at home. Residents may also opt for taking the test on-site.
The program currently operates at 16 public libraries in the District. The new sites that will open this week are located at recreation centers in Wards 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8.
Residents will be able to pick up tests between certain hours. And they must drop off their samples on the same day after it is used — any time before 8:00 pm, seven days a week.
DC Health notifies individuals who do not drop their test sample on the same day of collection that the sample cannot be processed and they are required to re-take the test.
Test results take three to five days to be delivered, after the sample is transferred to a laboratory partner of the District.
Here are the 11 new test sites:
- Palisades Recreation Center (5200 Sherier Pl NW) – opens on Monday, August 30
- Lamond Recreation Center (20 Tuckerman St NE) – opens on Monday, August 30
- Trinidad Recreation Center (1310 Childress St NE) – opens on Monday, August 30
- Edgewood Recreation Center (301 Franklin Street, NE) – opens on Monday, August 30
- Turkey Thicket Recreation Center (1100 Michigan Ave NE) – opens on Monday, August 30
- Arthur Capper Community Center (1000 5th St SE) – opens on Monday, August 30
- Rosedale Recreation Center (1701 Gales St NE) – opens on Monday, August 30
- Southwest Library (900 Wesley Pl SW) – opens on Wednesday, September 1 and will be open for pick up Monday-Wednesday, 10 am – 6 pm; Thursday, 12 pm – 6 pm; and Friday & Saturday, 10 am – 6 pm.
- DC Health (899 N Capitol St NE) – opens on Wednesday, September 1 and will be open for pick up Monday-Friday, 9 am – 5 pm,
- Barry Farm Recreation Center (1230 Sumner Rd SE) – opens on Monday, August 30
- Fort Stanton Recreation Center (1812 Erie Street, SE) – opens on Wednesday, September 1
The rest of the Test Yourself DC sites can be found at this link.