The DC Half Marathon, scheduled to take place on Sunday, September 18, will lead to a number of road closures, according to local authorities.
Sponsored by Pacers Running, which offers men’s & women’s running shoes and athletic apparel, the event includes a half marathon and two or three person half marathon relay.
Organizers describe the DC Half Marathon as “a hometown celebration of the District’s running community and culture.”
Participants will kick off the marathon on Ohio Drive SW near West Potomac Park, and follow a route around the Rock Creek Parkway, Tidal Basin and East Potomac Park.
The duration is around three and a half hours with an average pace of 15 minutes per mile. But there may be options to move forward or finish with a slower average pace, depending on what point you fall behind in the race.
For more details on the DC Half Marathon, click here.
The Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) announced Tuesday that the following streets will be closed to vehicle traffic on September 18, from 6 am to 12 pm:
- 1200 block of Maine Avenue, SW
- Maine Avenue from I-395 Westbound to Independence Avenue, SW
- Southbound Potomac River Freeway Split to Route 66, NW
- Theodore Roosevelt Bridge Ramp to Ohio Drive, NW
- Westbound E Street Expressway ramp to Southbound Potomac River Freeway, NW
- 9th Street Tunnel ramp to Maine Ave, SW
In addition, these streets will be closed by the United States Park Police on the same day, between 6 am to 12:00 pm:
- Ohio Drive from 23rd Street to East Basin Drive, SW
- Independence Avenue from 14th Street to 23rd Street, SW
- Rock Creek Parkway from Ohio Drive, NW to Shoreham Hill
- East and West Potomac Parks
- East Basin Drive, SW
- Raoul Wallenberg Place from 15th Street to Maine Avenue, SW
- Ramp from Memorial Circle to Ohio Drive, SW
- Homefront Drive, SW
- Daniel Chester French Drive from Independence Avenue to Lincoln Memorial Circle, SW
- Maine Avenue at ramp from East Basin Drive to Independence Avenue, SW
- 17th Street from Constitution Avenue, NW to Independence Avenue, SW
- Parkway Drive, NW from Lincoln Memorial Circle to Rock Creek Parkway
- 15th Street from Constitution Avenue, NW to Independence Avenue, SW
- Madison Drive from 14th Street to 15th Street, NW
- Jefferson Drive from 14th Street to 15th Street, SW
To follow timely updates, you can check out twitter.com/DCPoliceTraffic.