The Smithsonian Institution is putting an end to its policy of timed-entry passes for most of its museums starting Tuesday, July 20.
The passes had been required for entry because of the public health emergency after museums reopened during the COVID-19 pandemic.
However, visitors will still need these passes to enter the National Zoo and the National Museum of African American History and Culture. The Cooper Hewitt Design Museum in New York City will also continue the policy. Passes are released on a 30-day rolling basis 8 am ET each day.
Free passes that are reserved for July 20 or later will not be scanned at entrances, and everyone will be able to enter museums as walk-up visitors.
The museums on the National Mall will start operating according to their pre-pandemic schedule.
Each visitor is required to wear face coverings if they are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Among the Smithsonian facilities that are currently open are:
- The National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, Virginia — open daily 10 am to 5:30 pm
- The National Museum of African American History and Culture — open Wednesday through Sunday 10 am to 5:30 pm
- Renwick Gallery of the Smithsonian American Art Museum — open Wednesday through Sunday 10 am to 5:30 pm
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo — open daily 8 am to 4 pm
- The National Museum of African Art — open Wednesday through Sunday 10 am to 5:30 pm
- The National Museum of the American Indian (DC) — open Wednesday through Sunday 10 am to 5:30 pm
- The National Museum of American History — open Friday through Tuesday 10 am to 5:30 pm
Full reopening schedule, museum hours and more information: https://t.co/bLqdlIkisB
— Smithsonian (@smithsonian) July 16, 2021
Additional museums are scheduled to reopen between July 30 and August 27.
On July 30, the National Air and Space Museum will start operating Thursday through Monday 10 am to 5:30 pm, and the Smithsonian Institution Building (Castle) will be open daily 8:30 am to 5:30 pm.
On August 6, Anacostia Community Museum will begin operating Tuesday through Saturday 10 am to 5 pm.
On August 20, Hirshhorn Museum will return to its operating schedule, Wednesday to Sunday 10 am to 5:30 pm.
On August 27, National Postal Museum will start remaining open Friday to Tuesday 10 am to 5:30 pm.
The Smithsonian says on its website the historic Arts and Industries Building will open to the public for the first time since 2004 with a new exhibition in November 2021 to celebrate the institution’s 175th anniversary.
For further details on visiting Smithsonian’s museums, click here.