The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) announced that there will be extended service at a number of stations after the Salute to America fireworks display on the National Mall.
Metro said in a statement on Friday that the turnout at the event is expected to be much less than in past years due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.
“However, because the event may result in a modest increase in Metro’s ridership versus current levels, Metro will run more frequent trains and extend service beyond 9 p.m. at designated stations closest to the National Mall.”
The agency noted that Metro cannot guarantee that social distancing would be possible for riders at all times. “Trains and stations may become crowded, and those planning to attend should consider all of their transportation options prior to traveling. Off-peak fares will be in effect all day, and parking will be free at all Metro-operated parking garages and lots,” the statement said.
It was also added that Metro requires the wearing of cloth face coverings or masks while on the system, including all stations, platforms, trains and buses, as part of safety precautions.
Metro’s service information for July 4, 2020:
- Metrorail will open at 8 am with service on a “Covid-19 weekend schedule” during daytime hours.
- More frequent service will begin on all lines at approximately 4 pm to accommodate the Salute to America event on the National Mall.
- The following stations near the National Mall will remain open for “entry only” for 30 minutes after the conclusion of the fireworks display:
- L’Enfant Plaza
- Federal Triangle
- Metro Center
- McPherson Sq
- Farragut West
- Foggy Bottom
- Farragut North
- Gallery Place
- After 9 pm, most other stations will only be available for “exit only.” Metro will continue to run trains on all lines, in both directions until all customers have been accommodated.
- Nine Orange/Silver line stations west of Ballston are served by shuttle buses, rather than trains, due to planned summer construction work. (Shuttle buses will be available at Ballston until the last train arrives)
- Arlington Cemetery remains closed for both entry and exit until further notice.